At Stowmarket High School we believe that it is important that our curriculum promotes and develops our student’s spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) values through all aspects of their school life: tutor time; assemblies; lessons; our inspirational futures programme; extra-curricular activities and through Take Your Place Culture Days.
It is important that we prepare students for life in modern Britain by giving them the foundations to become: responsible, respectful, active citizens who contribute positively to society; developing their understanding of fundamental British values and allowing them to gain an appreciation of diversity. As a school we aim to celebrate what we have in common and promote respect for the different protected characteristics as defined in law.
We Define SMSC as:
Explore beliefs and experience; respect faiths, feelings and values; enjoy learning about oneself, others and the surrounding world; use imagination and creativity; reflect.
Recognise right and wrong; respect the law; understand consequences; investigate moral and ethical issues; offer reasoned views.
Use a range of social skills; participate in the local community; appreciate diverse viewpoints; participate, volunteer and cooperate; resolve conflict; engage with the ‘British values‘ of democracy, the rule of law, liberty, respect and tolerance.
Appreciate cultural influences; appreciate the role of Britain’s parliamentary system; participate in culture opportunities; understand, accept, respect and celebrate diversity.
We Promote SMSC through:
- The Curriculum: SMSC is embedded into our curriculum at all Key Stages. It is explicitly taught within PSHE, RE and Explore, Inspire and Create lesson.
- Assemblies: Every Year group has at least one assembly a week, these assemblies promote SMSC and British Values and are led by staff and external visitors.
- Tutor Periods: Each Year group has a weekly programme of activities
- Extra-Curricular Opportunities: Stowmarket High School offers a wide variety of extracurricular activities which have been mapped in the SMSC audit. Students have the opportunity to attend different clubs at lunchtime and after school. The school also offer an extensive range of trips and visits.
- Inspirational Futures Programme: Stowmarket High School offers a wide range of activities within the Inspirational Futures Programme.
- Take Your Place Culture Days: Once a year, Years 7-10 have the opportunity to sample activities linked to another culture. This is an opportunity for students to gain an appreciation and respect for another culture.
For more details contact Mrs Farrow Assistant Head – Curriculum firstname.lastname@example.org