Stowmarket High School fully recognises the contribution it can make to protect children and support students in school. There are five main elements to how we work:
Ensuring we practise safe recruitment in checking the suitability of staff and volunteers to work with children.
Raising awareness of child protection issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe.
Developing and then implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
Supporting students who have been abused in accordance with his/her agreed child protection plan.
Establishing a safe environment in which children can learn and develop.
Designated Safeguarding Lead - Mr Andy McLellan
Designated Safeguard Lead - Mrs Alex Fenton
Online Safety Lead - Mrs Amy Cogan
Safeguarding Governor Lead - Mr Jon Brighton
PREVENT Lead - Mr Andy McLellan
Early Help Support
We understand families may need extra support during difficult times and recognise the need to support those families through offering early help.
Parents’ Safeguarding Bulletins Throughout the year we will add a parent safeguarding bulletin to this page which will highlight topical issues facing students in school. The bulletins can be downloaded below.
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 1 - Snapchat
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 2 - Prevent
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 3 - Share Aware
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 4 - Sexting
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 5 - Checks for those working in schools
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 6 - Child Sexual Exploitation
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 7 - Safeguarding in Sport
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 8 - Online Grooming
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 9 - Educate Against Hate
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 10 - Fortnite
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 11 - Apps causing Safeguarding concerns
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 12 - Online safety advice for parents
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 13 - Protect your child on their Smartphone
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 15 - Child's feelings - Anna Freud
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 16 - The anxious and worried child. TikTok
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 17 - County Lines and Childline's Zipit App
Parent Safeguarding Bulletin 18 - Fortnite and Nintendo Switch
1. 24/7 help, advice and support http://www.nspcc.org.uk/
2. Provides a confidential telephone helpline offering emotional support to any individual on any issue http://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/index.php
3. Advice for parents, professionals and young people on the signs of sexual exploitation and how to keep safe http://www.barnardos.org.uk/spotthesigns
4. Friendly, confidential drugs advice http://www.talktofrank.com/
5. Find the latest information on the sites you like to visit, mobiles and new technology. Find out what’s good, what’s not and what you can do about it http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
6. Your advice, help and report centre http://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/
7. Information on a variety of online resources to help keep children safe online http://www.kidsmart.org.uk/