6th Form Prospectus
Click the link below to view our 6th Form Prospectus.
This booklet can be viewed as you would a magazine, click on the bottom right to turn the page and click on the page to zoom in and out.
This year we cannot host our usual Sixth Form Options evening, instead we will be launching the options process with Year 11 on Monday 12th October. All Sixth Form students at Stowmarket High School will be on a full-time timetable in school. We offer two-year A Levels or Level 3 courses. These are the courses that lead to degrees, diplomas at university, and higher-level apprenticeships.
Those students who wish to apply to Stowmarket Sixth Form will be given a subject prospectus on the 12th October. This contains information on the courses that we will be offering next year.
- Between the 13th and 23rd October, A Level and Level 3 teachers will then be offering taster sessions during lunchtimes and after school which students can attend. Students will need to sign up to these sessions. These sessions will be advertised on the website from the 12th October.
- We now have a Sixth Form Facebook page which will give you a flavour of Sixth Form life at Stowmarket High School. Please follow this page.
- Students will need to hand in their application forms into Student Services from the 2nd November until the 13th November. This form can be found at the back of the Subject booklet.
- Students will then have an interview with a member of staff about their subject choices.
- Please return the reply slip below to let us know if you would like to attend the evening.
Sixth Form students at Stowmarket High School are in school full time. They can choose between A Level or Level 3 courses. In order to maintain breadth of choice we offer a suite of STEM, Humanities, Social Science, English and Creative Arts A Levels, as well as 3 level 3 Vocational Qualifications.
The majority of students will choose to study three A Level subjects and will be given the opportunity to take the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) alongside their A Level options. A minority of students will take four A Levels after discussion with a senior member of staff.
It is expected that students should achieve a minimum of a (new) Grade 4 at GCSE in both Mathematics and English (Language or Literature). When students fail to achieve Grade 4, they will be expected to re-sit the exam in Year 12 with support from a specialist teacher. Some of the top universities have said they expect a 5, therefore, for those considering such a destination we would recommend a retake option if a 5 hasn’t been achieved.
Students need to achieve a minimum of 5 GCSE level 4-9 including English and Maths. We offer the following A Level subjects:
- Further Maths
- Product Design
- Applied Business
- Physical Education
- Sports and Coaching
- Health and Social Care
- Art and Design
We also offer the Extended Project.
Please note: that since September 2017 the minimum entry requirements to Stowmarket High School Sixth Form are strictly adhered to.
For more information on Key Stage 5 please contact:
Mr Blewitt, Head of Sixth Form via email email@example.com
Mrs Farrow, Assistant Headteacher Curriculum via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stowmarket High School, Onehouse Road, Stowmarket, Suffolk. IP14 1QR