THE AIMS OF OUR CURRICULUM
Our central aim is to deliver a curriculum which:
- Is broad and balanced, which meets the needs of our school community and prepares them for the next phase of their education, and for their future
- Is suitable for the new school building, which will be opening in September 2020.
- Provides our students with a rich experience, which inspires, is stimulating and fosters curiosity, independent thinking and creativity.
- Students are challenged and stretched to achieve their potential
- Make our students more aware of, and engaged with, their local, national and international communities
- Help students recognise that personal development is essential to wellbeing and success
- Allow our students to make the relevant progression from the primary phase to the tertiary phase particularly in the core areas of English, Mathematics and Science.
- Is accessible to all students and delivers subject matter.
- Offers a range of enrichment and extra-curricular activities which aim to broaden students learning experiences.
- Safeguards all our students
- Create successful learners who have the essential learning skills of literacy, numeracy, and information and communication technology
STUDENTS WILL BE ENCOURAGED TO BECOME:
- Successful young people, who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve
- Develop a love of learning and become lifelong learners who have developed good learning habits
- Individuals with a growth mind-set to pursue excellence, they understand how they learn and learn from their mistakes
- Excellent leaders, communicators, decision makers and organisers
- Independent learners who are resilient and able to take initiative
- Fascinated by the world around them
- Imaginative, creative and reflective in their learning
- Confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
- Socially responsible people who can interact with people of varying backgrounds and cultures
- Responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society
The aim is to develop a coherent 11-16 curriculum that builds on our students’ experiences in the primary phase and helps them to become successful learners, confident individuals and responsible citizens. Our curriculum reflects values in our society that promote personal development, spirituality, equality of opportunity, economic wellbeing, a healthy and just democracy, and a sustainable future. It will allow our students to be prepared for life in employment, further education or apprenticeship. All our students, regardless of their gender, ability, background or disadvantage, will be given the opportunity to follow a curriculum which is broad, balanced, relevant, differentiated and coherent